By now, you’re most likely aware of what anxiety is. Chances are you’ve struggled with it from time to time, like most of us have. However, one of the things that we’re not always educated about in regard to anxiety is how to actually find relief from this difficult problem.
One of the reasons for this is because there are a number of different forms of anxiety, but the real reason is because the education that we’re given regarding mental health is subpar. Unless you specifically tackle an elective or a college/university program dealing with psychology, chances are you won’t really learn much about anxiety unless you go out of your way.
This article will discuss the various forms of anxiety and give you some real talk about how you can overcome these issues.
Different Types of Anxiety
There are many different types of anxiety, each of which can have different effects depending on who you are and the situation that you’re in. These are some of the most common types:
- Social anxiety. Social anxiety is one of the most common forms of anxiety, and is indicated by someone who becomes anxious when they are around other people. Someone with social anxiety doesn’t usually experience anxiety when they are by themselves, and sometimes it’s only when they are around unfamiliar people.
- Panic disorder. Panic disorder is characterized by panic attacks, which can be very intense experiences marked by hyperventilating, sweating, and rapid thoughts. Panic attacks can strike quickly and spontaneously – often times within 10 minutes or less. Managing panic attacks can take practice, but can be immensely rewarding.
- Generalized anxiety. People with generalized anxiety often find that they are anxious even when there is no specific reason for them to be so. This can adversely affect their quality of life.
- Anxiety caused by other experiences / conditions. People can also develop anxiety regarding certain situations, people, or experiences, in the form of trauma. People can also develop anxiety as a result of certain conditions like PTSD.
There are lots of different ways that you can manage your anxiety – many of which, unfortunately, we aren’t taught in school. Here are some of the easiest ways to work through your anxiety:
- Be open. One of the first things that a therapist would tell you is to be open. Dig deep into your fears, your worries, and your past to identify what’s actually causing your anxiety. If you’re truly open and honest with yourself, you can perform this step without ever needing to see a therapist.
- Take a nature walk. Nature is one of the best solutions for a number of mental health problems, including anxiety. Taking a stroll through a forest or down by a quiet beach is one of the best ways to overcome your anxiety.
- Meditate and relax. Meditation is a fantastic strategy for helping people to overcome their anxiety. Meditating frequently helps to develop a state of mind that is free from worries and stress, allowing you to approach reality as it really is: without anxiety.
- Exercise. Anxiety is often caused by an overactive mind, so tiring out your mind and body by getting enough exercise can be of immense benefit if you’re hoping to slow down your mind and avoid anxiety.
As you can see, there are lots of different forms of anxiety. However, many of them can be managed with some of the same simple solutions that we’ve discussed in this article.
Meditating, exercising, being in nature and being open with yourself can all be immensely beneficial if you’re hoping to overcome your anxiety. The best thing? You can do all of these things at the same time!
To read more on topics like this, check out the health category.