2014 Yu-Ai Kai Nihonmachi Run and Walk
Presented by Yu-Ai Kai Community Senior Service at Japantown - San Jose
April 27, 2014
The Yu-Ai Kai Nihonmachi run is a 3-mile run/walk for people of all ages. Families, including toddlers, grandparents and pets are encouraged to participate in this event. It is a fundraiser for the Yu-Ai Kai Community Center in the Japantown area of San Jose. The Yu-Ai Kai Community Center is a non-profit organization that offers a daily lunch program and social services, wellness, activities, day care, and nutritional services to seniors.
This run/walk, which attracts 400-600 participants, has been held annually for 3 decades with the exception of 2012. The course is on neighborhood streets near or around the Japantown area of San Jose and was recently redesigned for the safety and enjoyment of participants and spectators.
Streets are closed for the duration of the event and the route is well marked by traffic cones. Many civilian volunteers line the course to ensure that participants do not interfere with traffic or wander off the course. This is in addition to the required number of police officers who are enlisted to provide traffic control.
The run/walk begins at 9am and will conclude in about 1.5 hours. Slow walkers are encouraged to walk on sidewalks to allow cones to be removed after the final runners/walkers have passed. Two water stations are placed on the course with 2 to 4 volunteers at each station.
- San Jose Symphonic Choir Concert - Season of Hope Performance Series at Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph
- Christmas in the Park at Plaza de Cesar Chavez
- The Great Dickens Christmas Fair at Cow Palace
- Walking with Dinosaurs at SAP Center
- Dancin' in the Row - sjDANCEco Dance Festival 2015 at Santana Row
- The Nutcracker - Ballet San Jose at San Jose Center for the Performing Arts
- Truce... A Christmas Wish from the Great War at City Lights Theater
- Madeline's Christmas at Sunnyvale Community Center Theatre
- TOSPS Tuesdays - Local Music Series at Theatre on San Pedro Square
- Elf - Cinemenlo Family Movie Night at Menlo-Atherton Performing Arts Center