Tower of Power & WAR
December 28, 2013
Tower of Power will co-headline with WAR for one night only at the San Jose Civic. Celebrating more than 40 years of success and original "Oakland style" soul music, Tower of Power's hits include "You're Still A Young Man," "So Very Hard To Go," "Soul With a Capital S," "Soul Vaccination," "What Is Hip?" and "Don't Change Horses (In the Middle of a Stream)." Known for its world famous horns, Tower of Power's sound is in a class of its own. The group has teamed with some of music's biggest names, including Elton John, Sam Moore, Santana, Bonnie Raitt, Dionne Warwick, Aaron Neville, Aerosmith, Michael Bolton, Rod Stewart, and more. The internationally-acclaimed act has released over twenty albums and continues to generate packed concert crowds and rave reviews from all over the world.
What do you get when you take funk, jazz, R&B, and rock 'n' roll and mix it all together? Well, you get one of the greatest bands of all time. WAR has sold more than 50 million albums worldwide and has hit songs such as "All Day Music," "Slippin' Into Darkness," "World Is a Ghetto," "The Cisco Kid," "Gypsy Man," "Me and Baby Brother," "Low Rider," and "Why Can't We Be Friends"--the audience will enjoy hit after hit. Lonnie Jordan, original lead singer, keyboardist extraordinaire, and musical director, is the voice of WAR and is one of the most versatile and musically talented men of the twentieth century. His powerful voice presides over WAR's political, historical, and downright fun songbook. Whether listening to "Lowrider" on the video game "Grand Theft Auto San Andreas," in the movie "Boogie Nights," or on classic vinyl, WAR's music is a timeless thread in the quilt of American pop culture.
- Jekyll and Hyde at Montgomery Theater
- Bomba Workshop with Live Music at MACLA
- Dancin' in the Row - sjDANCEco Dance Festival 2015 at Santana Row
- Blossom Festival 2015 at Heritage Orchard and Warner Hutton House
- Chinatown, Strangers in a Strange Land - Film Screening at Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Library
- Lunar New Year Celebration at History Park
- Loose in Some Real Tropics... Robert Rauschenberg's Stoned Moon Project - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- Shrek the Musical at Morgan Hill Community Playhouse
- Shop, Gallery, Studio... The Art World in the 17th and 18th Centuries - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- Bacon and Beer Classic at San Jose Municipal Stadium