Noor... Empress of the Mughals
Presented by EnActe at Montgomery Theater
May 31 - June 2, 2013
"Noor" is the story of the struggle for power between Moghul Emperors, sons, neighboring Rajahs, and one woman who was bold enough to step into the world of men. It is the story of the machinations behind the purdah in the time of Mehrunissa Begum, the twentieth wife of Emperor Jahangir.
Noor was a woman of formidable talents and a woman ahead of her times. This highly educated, erudite, Persian commoner and refugee was a poet, scholar, fashion designer, shrewd investor and businesswoman, statesman, and political strategist who rose to queendom, ruled the Moghul empire in Jahangir's name, and amassed untold wealth.
History was not kind to her: she was overshadowed by her niece Mumtaz Mahal, a conventional though devoted wife, when Shah Jahan immortalised her memory in the Taj Mahal.
- Jekyll and Hyde at Montgomery Theater
- Bomba Workshop with Live Music at MACLA
- Dancin' in the Row - sjDANCEco Dance Festival 2015 at Santana Row
- Blossom Festival 2015 at Heritage Orchard and Warner Hutton House
- Chinatown, Strangers in a Strange Land - Film Screening at Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Library
- Lunar New Year Celebration at History Park
- Loose in Some Real Tropics... Robert Rauschenberg's Stoned Moon Project - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- Shrek the Musical at Morgan Hill Community Playhouse
- Shop, Gallery, Studio... The Art World in the 17th and 18th Centuries - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- Bacon and Beer Classic at San Jose Municipal Stadium