Noor... Empress of the Mughals
Presented by EnActe at Montgomery Theater
May 31 - June 2, 2013
"Noor" is the story of the struggle for power between Moghul Emperors, sons, neighboring Rajahs, and one woman who was bold enough to step into the world of men. It is the story of the machinations behind the purdah in the time of Mehrunissa Begum, the twentieth wife of Emperor Jahangir.
Noor was a woman of formidable talents and a woman ahead of her times. This highly educated, erudite, Persian commoner and refugee was a poet, scholar, fashion designer, shrewd investor and businesswoman, statesman, and political strategist who rose to queendom, ruled the Moghul empire in Jahangir's name, and amassed untold wealth.
History was not kind to her: she was overshadowed by her niece Mumtaz Mahal, a conventional though devoted wife, when Shah Jahan immortalised her memory in the Taj Mahal.
- City of Palo Alto's 4th Annual Tree Lighting
- The Italian Girl in Algiers at California Theatre
- Children's Holiday Festival at History Park
- Revolutionaries Defy Ventures' Catherine Hoke in Conversation with Laura Sydell at Computer History Museum
- Escape the Mysterious Room San Jose
- Within and Without... Transformations in Chinese Landscapes - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- Fleetwood Mac at SAP Center
- Sympathy for the Devil... Satan, Sin, and the Underworld - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- Cirque Dreams Holidaze at San Jose Center for the Performing Arts
- Truce... A Christmas Wish from the Great War at City Lights Theater