April 27, 2013
Come to ArtHouse! The 3rd annual art and art-making block party takes place in downtown San Jose's SoFA arts district--on 400 and 500 blocks of S. 1st and Market Streets. Admission is free!
- Hands-on art demonstrations
- Art making activities for kids and adults
- Original artwork for sale--ceramics, pottery, painting, scultpure, prints, drawings, jewelry and more
- Guided gallery tours
- Artist talks
- Live performances
- Moveable Feast Food Trucks
Visitors will enjoy programs and activities taking place inside the various arts venues and outside at the newly renovated Parque De Los Pobladores/Gore Park--an open and inviting outdoor urban plaza and gateway to the SoFA District at Market and South First Streets.
ArtHouse is presented by MACLA/Movimiento de Arte y Cultura Latino Americana, the San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA), San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles and Notre Dame High School. Other partners include: Bay Area Glass Institute (BAGI), Higher Fire Clayspace, San Jose Jazz, San Jose Stage Company and ZERO1 Art & Technology Network.
BAGI (in Gore Park)
- Glass for sale
- Paint on glass!
Higher Fire Clayspace
- Potters show how to make cups, bowls, vases, platters and more on the pottery wheel--continuous demonstrations all afternoon! Kids welcome to get creative & play in the clay at our hand-building table.
Exhibition: Inspired Clay, at the Higher Fire Studio
2nd Annual Exhibit by the Orchard Valley Ceramic Arts Guild
Juror Rocky Lewycky (De Anza College) surveyed an impressive variety of work and selected twenty-eight pieces by 24 Bay Area clay artists--including prize-winning works by Lisa LaRocca, Doris Fischer-Colbrie and Nancy Niles.
See how pottery is made from start to finish--check out the 3 big kilns, 18 pottery wheels, hand-building and glazing areas, and more!
San Jose Jazz
Performance by The Mark Arroyo Trio, 1-3pm in the Gore Park Plaza
Guitarist Mark Arroyo mixes his love of jazz, funk, rock, hip-hop, and electronica to create a sound that’s both foreign and familiar. The Mark Arroyo Trio highlights Arroyo’s own compositions alongside re-worked modern rock classics, all while bridging the gap between audiences of modern jazz and the indie underground.
Latino Art Now! MACLA's 15th Annual Art Auction
Tour the auction exhibition with MACLA's curatorial staff throughout the day
Castellano Playhouse: Desmar Guevara, 1pm-1:45pm
Enjoy an exhilarating performance by New York-based composer Desmar Guevara.
Peapod Adobe Youth Voices Academy Poets, 2pm-3:15pm
Enjoy and cheer talented youth performing Slam Poetry and watch music videos written and produced by MACLA's Peapod Academy.
Make Art: Make It and Take It: Art Activities for Children & Families
Come and enjoy art activities lead by local artists and create your own masterpiece. All materials included.
San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA)
A curated open portfolio show & sale featuring paintings, prints, photography, and sculpture by Bay Area artists.
20 for 20 in the ICA Print Center
Visitors can try their hand at printmaking in the ICA's on-site Print Center. Take a 20-minute workshop in the Print Center for just $20. Make three prints. Take your art home. All supplies provided. No registration required. Drop in and pay at the door. Fun for all ages!
Artist Talks and Exhibition Tours with exhibiting artists and docents. On view in the galleries:
Val Britton: Intimate Immensity--a site-specific installation and large-scale collaged drawings
Judith Rothchild: Black Magic--an exhibition of exquisite mezzotint prints
Parallax Views--a group photography/video show
San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles
- Guided gallery tours for Folk Indian Textiles from the Collection of Carol Summers
- Stitch a Mandala in the exhibition Meditation in Space & Time: Junco Sato Pollack
- Create Indian Shadow Puppets in the Community Gallery
- Quilting demonstrations
Play, prototype, and build unique ZOOB creations in our ZOOB workshop area featuring thousands of ZOOB units, 12pm-3pm.
Vote for best creations, 3pm-4pm.
Arcade Cabinet Maker meets Video Game Maker
Explore homemade arcade cabinets from the Cooperative Gaming Coop and play games made by the Game Developers Club at SJSU, 1pm-2pm. Learn about the tools to build one or both of these and play some fun quirky games.
Collaborative Digital Storytelling Exercise, 12pm-1pm
Participate in collaborative storytelling exercises with Fellow Daniela Steinsapir in the ZERO1 media room
ZERO1 Fellows Area
Guided tours of the ZERO1 Fellowship area that showcases the Fellows research around their social innovation challenges.
Visitors can lounge, socialize, and explore in iLOUNGE while interacting with the REWORK_ app, which features eleven "music visualizers" that take the remixed tracks of Philip Glass and create interactive visuals.
Notre Dame High School:
Notre Dame High School's award-winning Fine & Performing Arts Department will be showcasing its musical and drama programs in live performances throughout the event. In addition, visitors are invited to enjoy some hands-on fun creating photograms and clay birds in the photo and clay studios.
- Free at Notre Dame High School, 596 South Second Street
- $5 all day at a city parking lot underneath Hwy 280, one block south of the ICA
- Metered parking on First and Market streets
ArtHouse is supported in part by the San Jose Downtown Association, the City of San Jose and Arts Council Silicon Valley, in partnership with the County of Santa Clara and the California Arts Council. Media sponsorship is provided by Metro Newspapers.
- San Jose Symphonic Choir Concert - Season of Hope Performance Series at Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph
- The Great Dickens Christmas Fair at Cow Palace
- Christmas in the Park at Plaza de Cesar Chavez
- MythBusters Behind the Myths Tour at City National Civic
- The Nutcracker - Ballet San Jose at San Jose Center for the Performing Arts
- Dancin' in the Row - sjDANCEco Dance Festival 2015 at Santana Row
- Truce... A Christmas Wish from the Great War at City Lights Theater
- Walking with Dinosaurs at SAP Center
- Madeline's Christmas at Sunnyvale Community Center Theatre
- San Jose Sharks vs. Edmonton Oilers at SAP Center