9 to 5
June 29 - July 27, 2013
Coming to this theatre is the Saratoga premiere of the new musical comedy, 9 to 5, based on the Twentieth Century Fox film of the same name which starred Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and Dolly Parton. It became the second highest-grossing film of the 1980's. Later, it was made into a Broadway musical, opening on Broadway in 2009 and receiving four Tony-Award nominations.
The story is set in 1979 when Rolodex, IBM Selectric Typewriters, and Xerox machines were the state-of-the-art technology in the office. Three secretaries battle their domineering boss while they work hard to succeed in a dominant man's world. In the end, they come together to take control of the company and their own lives. "Joy to the Girls," indeed!
The music and lyrics are bouncy, big-hearted, fresh, and original and include the following songs: Around Here, Here For You, I Just Might, Joy to the Girls, Shine Like the Sun, One of the Boys, Change It, and the title song, 9 to 5.
- Holiday Wine Stroll and Festival 2014 at Saratoga Village
- Anh Sao Dem 2 - Vietnamese Music at San Jose Center for the Performing Arts
- Within and Without... Transformations in Chinese Landscapes - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- The Xman Band - Jazz, Funk at Britannia Arms - Cupertino
- The Sound of Music at Montgomery Theater
- Children's Holiday Festival at History Park
- The Italian Girl in Algiers at California Theatre
- Peace and Social Justice Harvest Fair
- Silicon Valley Film Festival
- Truce... A Christmas Wish from the Great War at City Lights Theater