9 to 5
June 29 - July 27, 2013
Coming to this theatre is the Saratoga premiere of the new musical comedy, 9 to 5, based on the Twentieth Century Fox film of the same name which starred Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and Dolly Parton. It became the second highest-grossing film of the 1980's. Later, it was made into a Broadway musical, opening on Broadway in 2009 and receiving four Tony-Award nominations.
The story is set in 1979 when Rolodex, IBM Selectric Typewriters, and Xerox machines were the state-of-the-art technology in the office. Three secretaries battle their domineering boss while they work hard to succeed in a dominant man's world. In the end, they come together to take control of the company and their own lives. "Joy to the Girls," indeed!
The music and lyrics are bouncy, big-hearted, fresh, and original and include the following songs: Around Here, Here For You, I Just Might, Joy to the Girls, Shine Like the Sun, One of the Boys, Change It, and the title song, 9 to 5.
- The Italian Girl in Algiers at California Theatre
- Revolutionaries Defy Ventures' Catherine Hoke in Conversation with Laura Sydell at Computer History Museum
- Within and Without... Transformations in Chinese Landscapes - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- Escape the Mysterious Room San Jose
- Children's Holiday Festival at History Park
- Truce... A Christmas Wish from the Great War at City Lights Theater
- Orientation - CreaTV Class at CreaTV Studios
- Sympathy for the Devil... Satan, Sin, and the Underworld - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- City of Palo Alto's 4th Annual Tree Lighting
- Fleetwood Mac at SAP Center