9 to 5
June 29 - July 27, 2013
Coming to this theatre is the Saratoga premiere of the new musical comedy, 9 to 5, based on the Twentieth Century Fox film of the same name which starred Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and Dolly Parton. It became the second highest-grossing film of the 1980's. Later, it was made into a Broadway musical, opening on Broadway in 2009 and receiving four Tony-Award nominations.
The story is set in 1979 when Rolodex, IBM Selectric Typewriters, and Xerox machines were the state-of-the-art technology in the office. Three secretaries battle their domineering boss while they work hard to succeed in a dominant man's world. In the end, they come together to take control of the company and their own lives. "Joy to the Girls," indeed!
The music and lyrics are bouncy, big-hearted, fresh, and original and include the following songs: Around Here, Here For You, I Just Might, Joy to the Girls, Shine Like the Sun, One of the Boys, Change It, and the title song, 9 to 5.
- Jekyll and Hyde at Montgomery Theater
- Bomba Workshop with Live Music at MACLA
- Dancin' in the Row - sjDANCEco Dance Festival 2015 at Santana Row
- Blossom Festival 2015 at Heritage Orchard and Warner Hutton House
- Chinatown, Strangers in a Strange Land - Film Screening at Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Library
- Lunar New Year Celebration at History Park
- Loose in Some Real Tropics... Robert Rauschenberg's Stoned Moon Project - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- Shrek the Musical at Morgan Hill Community Playhouse
- Shop, Gallery, Studio... The Art World in the 17th and 18th Centuries - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- Bacon and Beer Classic at San Jose Municipal Stadium