9 to 5
June 29 - July 27, 2013
Coming to this theatre is the Saratoga premiere of the new musical comedy, 9 to 5, based on the Twentieth Century Fox film of the same name which starred Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and Dolly Parton. It became the second highest-grossing film of the 1980's. Later, it was made into a Broadway musical, opening on Broadway in 2009 and receiving four Tony-Award nominations.
The story is set in 1979 when Rolodex, IBM Selectric Typewriters, and Xerox machines were the state-of-the-art technology in the office. Three secretaries battle their domineering boss while they work hard to succeed in a dominant man's world. In the end, they come together to take control of the company and their own lives. "Joy to the Girls," indeed!
The music and lyrics are bouncy, big-hearted, fresh, and original and include the following songs: Around Here, Here For You, I Just Might, Joy to the Girls, Shine Like the Sun, One of the Boys, Change It, and the title song, 9 to 5.
- Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella at San Jose Center for the Performing Arts
- Bacon and Beer Classic at San Jose Municipal Stadium
- Triton Free Friday with The Gallowglasses at Triton Museum of Art
- The Boy Friend at Saratoga Civic Theater
- Jekyll and Hyde at Montgomery Theater
- Museum of American Heritage A to Z - Exhibition at Museum of American Heritage
- Loose in Some Real Tropics... Robert Rauschenberg's Stoned Moon Project - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- Hungarian Heritage Festival at Twin Pines Park
- Noteworthy Desserts at St. Luke's Episcopal Church, Los Gatos