Exit Laughing with Authors Victoria Zackheim, Ellen Sussman, Sam Barry, Kathi Goldmark
May 31, 2012
Exit Laughing is more than a collection of twenty-four personal stories, written by some of the country's finest authors, on the subject of death and humor. It's a reminder that people approach death in very different ways. Whether a person faces his or her own death or the death of a loved one with fear, sorrow, joy, or confusion, and whether or not a person believes in an afterlife, no one can deny that death happens. Exit Laughing reminds everyone that in death there is a place for humor.
Ellen Sussman writes of flying home her mother's body and watching her mother's burial wardrobe spill out on the baggage carousel. Kathi Kamen Goldmark regales the reader with memories of playing the kazoo at Jessica Mitford's funeral. Broadway and television actor Richard McKenzie shares the riotous story of a funeral procession led by a lost hearse. Bonnie Garvin writes about her parents' double suicide attempt (and yes, it's funny!). Joshua Braff recalls a death in an upstairs bedroom during his childhood, Roadrunner cartoons included. L.A. Law star and author Michael Tucker describes his last visit with his dying friend, Cleavon Little, and how they said goodbye.
These stories, along with eighteen other memorable essays, constitute a book whose purpose is to remind readers that when dealing with illness, dying, and death, there is an important place for laugh-out-loud humor.
- Run with the Zombies - 5K Run at Kelley Park
- Dia De Los Muertos Ride and Drive Event - VivaFest at St. James Park - Downtown San Jose
- Kristi Yamaguchi and Brian Boitano's Golden Moment - Figure Skating Show at SAP Center
- The Salvation Army First Annual Harvest Festival
- Downtown San Jose Farmers' Market - Fridays at San Pedro Square
- A Nightmare Before Christmas in the Park
- The New Landscape... Experiments in Light by Gyorgy Kepes - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- therethere x SJ Grand Opening Party
- Grand National Rodeo at Cow Palace
- Family Night at the Museum at Children's Discovery Museum