May 12, 2012
Make Art. See Art. Buy Art. Come to ArtHouse! An art and art-making block party on South First and Market Streets (between William and Reed Streets) in downtown San Jose.
Please join us at ArtHouse, a day-long festival that includes art shows, guided gallery tours, artist talks, hands-on art activities, original artworks for sale, improv comedy performances and more. Participating ArtHouse venues include: Higher Fire ClaySpace & Gallery, MACLA/Movimiento de Arte y Cultura Latino Americana, the San Jose ICA, the San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles, and The Stage Theatre.
Admission to ArtHouse is FREE! ArtHouse programs and activities activities include:
At Higher Fire Clayspace & Gallery – www.higherfirestudios.com
• Hands-on sidewalk activity – Kids of all ages are welcome to play with clay and make pinch pots at the big clay table.
• Pottery Wheel Demonstrations – Get entranced by studio members making wheel-thrown pottery all day long in the main studio.
• Tantalizing Tableware -- Browse gallery exhibit of 24 place settings by members of the Orchard Valley Ceramic Arts Guild
• Tours – Volunteers will lead guided tours of the clay studio, glazing areas and kiln room
At MACLA – www.maclaarte.org
• Guided Gallery Tours of Latino Art Now
• Collecting Art 101 Workshop with artist and art professor Eugene Rodriguez
• Performing in Castellano Playhouse --Ballet Folklorico by Grupo Folklorico Los Laurels
• Artist Workshops
• Hands-on art activities for children and families
• Art for Sale
At the San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) - www.sjica.org
• The Print Fair: an open portfolio sale featuring original works on paper by more than a dozen Bay Area printmakers
• Printapalooza! Make a print in the the Print Center! Take it home! $20 for a 20 minute workshop. All materials provided!
• Make a Movie! From 2pm-4pm exhibiting artist, Vanessa Woods will be leading a group filmmaking workshop in the gallery. Participants will draw, stamp, scratch and physically manipulate 16mm clear and opaque film stock to create a collaborative cameraless film. The completed film will be screened in the gallery at 4pm.
• Exhibition Tours with ICA curators. On view: The Office; Younhee Paik: Ascending River; 4x4: stop animation films.
At San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles – www.sjquiltmuseum.org
• Guided Gallery Tours of Mark Adams – 40 years of pictorial tapestries
• Weaving Demonstrations by master weaver Tricia Goldberg (10am -12pm)
• Weaving Workshop for adults and children by Fabmo (2pm-4pm)
At The Stage – www.thestage.com
• San Jose Stage Company presents the Notre Dame High School Improv Comedy Players - 15-minute performances of improvisational comedy, brought to you by the students of Notre Dame High School and actors from The Stage. (12pm - 3:15pm)
• At Notre Dame High School - students led art workshops for kids ages 6-11 (10am -1pm)including:
- Make photograms and create layered collages of black and white photographic images and designs, in the photo lab.
- Make clay birds and take them home using air-drying clay, in the ceramics room.
ENJOY FREE PARKING DURING ARTHOUSE:
- at Notre Dame High School, 596 South Second Street,one block east of ArtHouse
- and at the city parking lot underneath Hwy 280, one block south of the ICA
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT PRESENTING ORGANIZATIONS:
Higher Fire ClaySpace and Gallery: Dan Dermer,email@example.com, 408.295.5765
MACLA: Rhiannon Beltran, firstname.lastname@example.org, 408.998.2783
San Jose ICA: Maureen Cappon-Javey, email@example.com, 408.283.8155
San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles, Christine Jeffers, firstname.lastname@example.org, 408.971.0323 x. 16
The Stage: Cathleen King, email@example.com, 408.283.7144
Notre Dame High School, Derek McCaw, firstname.lastname@example.org
ArtHouse is supported in part by Heritage Bank of Commerce and Bontrager Framing, the City of San Jose and Arts Council Silicon Valley, in partnership with the County of Santa Clara and the California Arts Council.
- Miniature Worlds... Indian Court Paintings From the Collection - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- Halloween Hoopla 2014
- Downtown San Jose Farmers' Market - Fridays at San Pedro Square
- Run with the Zombies - 5K Run at Kelley Park
- The New Landscape... Experiments in Light by Gyorgy Kepes - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- Kristi Yamaguchi and Brian Boitano's Golden Moment - Figure Skating Show at SAP Center
- 17th Annual United Nations Association Film Festival at Aquarius Theatre
- therethere x SJ Grand Opening Party
- Grand National Rodeo at Cow Palace
- The Salvation Army First Annual Harvest Festival