Alexander Nepote - Exhibition
September 25 - December 18, 2011
Six years ago, the Peninsula Museum of Art honored six “Local Legends”, eminent San Mateo County artists. Alexander Nepote was one of the six, a watercolorist and mixed-media painter with roots in the plein-air movement of the ‘30s.
In the ‘50s, he switched to oils and mixed media, and later acrylic, as he explored abstract expressionism in the form of richly textured landscapes. He became highly influential as a professor, first at California College of Arts and Crafts (now California College of the Arts), and then San Francisco State University.
The time has come to show Alexander Nepote more fully, and the opportunity has been provided by the heirs of Peninsula collector Robby Lee Kraft. Mrs. Kraft and her husband, Dr. Robert Kraft, owned thirty-one Nepote paintings at the time of her death.
Fifteen Nepote paintings were donated to the Museum’s Permanent Collection over a period of three years. The others now grace the homes of their three children. Angela Kraft Cross, Darius Kraft, and Peter Kraft, all Peninsula residents, have graciously loaned their Nepote paintings for this exhibition.
- San Jose Symphonic Choir Concert - Season of Hope Performance Series at Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph
- Walking with Dinosaurs at SAP Center
- 11th Annual Holiday LEGO Show at Museum of American Heritage
- The Nutcracker - Ballet San Jose at San Jose Center for the Performing Arts
- Downton Abbey Season 5 - Screenings at California Theatre
- Dancin' in the Row - sjDANCEco Dance Festival 2015 at Santana Row
- TOSPS Tuesdays - Local Music Series at Theatre on San Pedro Square
- Harpers Hall Celtic Harpists - Season of Hope Performance Series at Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph
- Aki Kumar Blues Band at San Pedro Square Market
- Downtown Ice - Sponsored by Hawaiian Airlines, Kristi Yamaguchi at Circle of Palms