Alexander Nepote - Exhibition
September 25 - December 18, 2011
Six years ago, the Peninsula Museum of Art honored six “Local Legends”, eminent San Mateo County artists. Alexander Nepote was one of the six, a watercolorist and mixed-media painter with roots in the plein-air movement of the ‘30s.
In the ‘50s, he switched to oils and mixed media, and later acrylic, as he explored abstract expressionism in the form of richly textured landscapes. He became highly influential as a professor, first at California College of Arts and Crafts (now California College of the Arts), and then San Francisco State University.
The time has come to show Alexander Nepote more fully, and the opportunity has been provided by the heirs of Peninsula collector Robby Lee Kraft. Mrs. Kraft and her husband, Dr. Robert Kraft, owned thirty-one Nepote paintings at the time of her death.
Fifteen Nepote paintings were donated to the Museum’s Permanent Collection over a period of three years. The others now grace the homes of their three children. Angela Kraft Cross, Darius Kraft, and Peter Kraft, all Peninsula residents, have graciously loaned their Nepote paintings for this exhibition.
- Kristi Yamaguchi and Brian Boitano's Golden Moment - Figure Skating Show at SAP Center
- Mommy and Me Kid'sClub - 2nd Tuesdays at Santana Row
- Within and Without... Transformations in Chinese Landscapes - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- Downtown San Jose Farmers' Market - Fridays at San Pedro Square
- Russell Peters at San Jose Center for the Performing Arts
- Singin' in the Rain at Lincoln Black Box Theatre
- Orientation - CreaTV Class at CreaTV Studios
- Amy Dabalos and The Vibrant Things at San Pedro Square Market
- Oprah's The Life You Want Weekend at SAP Center
- The New Landscape... Experiments in Light by Gyorgy Kepes - Exhibition at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University