July 13, 2011
Taking a cue from Dr. Jytte Lokvig, who created the first Alzheimer’s Café in the United States in Santa Fe, New Mexico, Cathy Spielberger Cassetta, executive director of The Tabard Theatre Company at Theatre on San Pedro Square, is opening an Alzheimer’s Café at Theatre on San Pedro Square, the first such café in California. The Café will meet the second Wednesday of every month, from 2pm-4pm. The first meeting will take place July 13.
The Alzheimer’s Café concept was developed in Europe by Dutch psychiatrist Bere Miesen as a monthly informal gathering in a non-clinical environment. Taking her inspiration from Miesen, Lokvig founded the Santa Fe Café in October 2008. “The Alzheimer’s Café is such a simple idea: It offers everyone a chance to relax and have a good time with friends, whether they are caregivers, professionals, family, or people living with dementia,” says Lokvig.
It is not a structured program but an opportunity during the two hours for people to come and go as they please, where they can gather to chat, share stories, gain information and, if they choose, participate in creative outlets such as art, writing, music, or comedy. It offers a chance for caregivers to relax and connect with others in the same situation. People with dementia will have the opportunity to socialize and enjoy a day out in a creative environment.
- A Nightmare Before Christmas in the Park
- Halloween Haunts at Steven's Creek Central
- Dia De Los Muertos Ride and Drive Event - VivaFest at St. James Park - Downtown San Jose
- Halloween Hoopla 2014
- Wall of Sound - The Commons at St. James Park at St. James Park - Downtown San Jose
- Singin' in the Rain at Lincoln Black Box Theatre
- Run with the Zombies - 5K Run at Kelley Park
- Family Night at the Museum at Children's Discovery Museum
- The Salvation Army First Annual Harvest Festival
- Downtown San Jose Farmers' Market - Fridays at San Pedro Square