Valley Arts Scene (2/20/13)
|Valley Arts Scene: Training Days
February may be a short month, but there's no shortage of local arts news. For instance, History San Jose recently added a classic train caboose to its artifacts at History Park with financial assistance from the Rotary Club of San Jose. Skilled volunteers from the California Trolley and Railroad Corporation will be working on restoring it for the greater enjoyment of History Park visitors.
Speaking of renovations, Montalvo Arts Center is in the process of upgrading its Great Lawn, which should be reopened in April. In the meantime, Montalvo's hiking trails and all of its concerts, exhibitions and programs are unaffected.
While February 3rd's Super Bowl didn't go as 49ers fans would've hoped, one prominent 49er has plenty to keep himself occupied in the offseason. Tight end Vernon Davis, who majored in studio art in college, recently opened Gallery 85 at Santana Row. Sales from the gallery benefit the Vernon Davis Foundation for the Arts, which helps underprivileged children realize artistic dreams through grants and mentorship.
The Lunar New Year is the theme of a number of Silicon Valley celebrations this month (which, of course, you can find here on LiveSV). The San Jose Museum of Arts held a Lunar New Year Community Day on February 9th, and a blogger from the Santa Clara Office of Education's Artspiration blog shared pictures and thoughts about her enjoyable experience of attending it with her twin 7-year-old daughters.
In closing, this February also features the start of this year's edition of the popular Cinequest film festival, which will be screening nearly 200 films.That's a lot of movies to choose from! Luckily for us, Charlie McCollum of the Mercury News profiles ten films worth seeing at Cinequest this year.
- FanimeCon 2014 at San Jose Convention Center
- Christmas in the Park at Plaza de Cesar Chavez
- Winter's Gifts: Joy - Holiday Concert with The Choral Project & San Jose Chamber Orchestra
- The Snow Queen at San Jose Repertory Theatre
- The Duke Ellington Nutcracker Suite at Theatre on San Pedro Square
- Cantor Arts Center Public Tours at Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University
- Open Mic
- Knitting and Crochet Circle - Thursdays at Gilroy Library
- Miracle on 34th Street... The Play at Morgan Hill Community Playhouse
- Rabih Alameddine - Reading and Book Signing at Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Library